My kitchen counter is serving as Science Central these days. Besides the tomato plants, popcorn plants, and radish sprouts, we have 7 bullfrog tadpoles. I'm actually quite amazed that they are all still living (I even expected some to be DOA), as they came with no instructions, but I've found them to be rather content unless you place them by an open window to enjoy the fresh air and sunlight only to have the blusteriest wind of the season blow the block calendar off the sill and nearly into their tanks. Sudden noises is not one of their favorite things. I keep thinking the biggest one should be getting some legs any day, but I read somewhere that the entire process can take 14 months. I'm hoping that is from the laying of eggs and that these are about 12 months old, because since it was my idea, I have to clean out their tanks every day. Suffice it to say, they are pleased with their new tadpole food I bought for them, and I hope that the rapid growth it talked about occurs. (and in case you are wondering, I've joked about naming them all Legs, but we will probably call the conservation department to see about releasing them into the wild when they are grown).
In other swimming news, Frodo and Smeagol have joined Gandalf, Sam, Merry, and Pippin in our fish tank (we also have a Flintford--the great fish who almost ate---, Jonah, and Mickey). Smeagol is an albino catfish and appropriately eats the scunge off the bottom of the tank. Frodo has rings around him (he's a black skirt).
And lastly, we will not be buying swimming passes again. I've discovered that two family members do not enjoy swimming much at all, and our schedule has not meshed with the pool's schedule very well. I'm hoping we can at least get our money's worth by going in June and July before the passes expire.
Class of 2018
8 years ago
How are the legs coming along?? Those critters still swimming or starting to hop??
ReplyDeleteThere aren't any legs yet. The biggest tadpole is getting fatter at the hind end though (rather than more ovalish), so we shall see.
ReplyDelete